Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Georgia and welcome to the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences! This page is designed to prepare incoming freshmen and transfer students for the academic portion of Orientation. Following the Orientation information below, you will find a list of frequently asked Orientation-related questions, as well as links to important advising and campus resources designed to help you during your time at UGA. To register for an Orientation session, please visit Orientation.uga.edu
An Important Message for Orientation Attendees
The advising experience is a critical part of the instructional mission of the University of Georgia. Orientation advising appointments provide a crucial opportunity for student learning and for the development of the student/advisor relationship. Because our advisors need to focus exclusively on their students, the Office of Student Academic Services does not allow parents or other guests to attend Orientation advising appointments.
Choosing a Major
- For Incoming Freshmen:
- Placement Testing — All students are encouraged to take placement tests for English, Math, and Foreign Language. If possible, you should do this before Orientation! https://testing.uga.edu/orientation/placement-tests
- AP/SAT II/IB Credit — Send all results of these tests to UGA Admissions through the College Board. Write down all tests taken and scores received (if known) and bring this information to your Orientation advising appointment.
- For Incoming Transfer Students:
- UGA Bulletin — Understand degree requirements. Be sure to complete the Bulletin Worksheet!
- Degreeworks — See how courses you have already taken, and/or credit from testing, apply to your degree program.
- Athena — Register for your classes online after Orientation.
- Student Advising and Registration Assistant (SARA) — See your advising form and make your fall advising appointment.
- Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) — Know your rights, according to federal law.
- First Year Odyssey
- On-line Alcohol Awareness Requirement
- Health and Immunization Records
- Testing Services (Placement Tests)
- Verifying Lawful Presence
- Where Do I Go For....
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can I not be advised before Orientation?
During times when Orientation is not occurring, all advisors are working with our thousands of currently enrolled students and are therefore unable to accommodate entering students. In addition, the records of entering students are not fully complete and uploaded into our student advising system until Orientation, so advisors will not have access to this information. While we understand that students are very excited about attending the University of Georgia, we cannot advise you until Orientation. All questions regarding your major, degree requirements, placement test results, and credit from testing will be thoroughly answered at Orientation.
Who will my advisor be at Orientation?
You will be assigned to an advisor based on your declared major. Your advisor is a specialist in your area of study. To meet with the correct advisor, make sure your major is correct. You can view the accuracy of your major in Athena under "Student information" and make any necessary adjustments prior to attending Orientation.
When will I find out what time my advising appointment is?
If you have declared a Franklin College major you will receive an e-mail sent to your UGA e-mail address listing your advisor, appointment time, and appointment location.
- For one-day Orientation sessions: You will receive the e-mail the morning of your session, prior to your area meeting.
- For two-day Orientation sessions: You will receive the e-mail on the morning of day two.
- Contact EITS at 706-542-3106 if you are unable to access your UGA e-mail account prior to Orientation.
How do I register for an Orientation session?
Students can register for an Orientation session here. Orientation is mandatory, and each session has a limited number of spaces.
How do I change my major at Orientation?
- Having the correct major in Athena ensures you will be advised for that major.
- Prior to Orientation: You are able to change your major on Athena (see changing-your-major-minor-or-area-emphasis for more information).
- At Orientation:
- To change to a different Franklin College major during one-day Orientation sessions: Visit "The HUB" (2nd Floor Rotunda in the Miller Learning Center) by 12pm. To change to another college's major, please contact that college. http://uga.edu/a-z/schools/
- To change to a different Franklin College major during two-day Orientation sessions: You may change your major on Athena until midnight of day one. If you have difficulty changing your major, please contact Kellee Green prior to 7am on day two.
I will be flying in to attend Orientation. What time is recommended for me to schedule my return flight home?
If you plan to leave on the day of Orientation, we recommend scheduling your return flight departure no earlier than 8pm. Orientation lasts until 5 pm. No student should plan to leave Athens prior to 5 pm. Travel time from Athens to Hartsfield International Airport is approximately two hours, and most flights recommend checking in two hours ahead of departure. Scheduling a return flight too early can cause conflict with your Orientation advising appointment. If you leave Orientation without having been advised, you will not be cleared to register for classes in Athena. This will delay your ability to build your class schedule.
Do you have a unique situation that needs to be addressed before Orientation?
- Please contact Kellee Green.
- Requests for early afternoon advising appointments will be fulfilled whenever possible.