Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Georgia and the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences! This page is designed to prepare you for the academic portion of orientation and provide information for after orientation.
To register for an orientation session, please visit orientation.uga.edu
Choosing a Major
Advising in the Franklin College
First Year Student Advising Information
- Orientation Day 2 Advising Schedule (pdf)
- Placement Testing — All students are encouraged to take placement tests for English, Math, and Foreign Language. You can do this before orientation!
- AP/SAT II/IB Credit — Send all results of these tests to UGA Admissions through the College Board and write down all tests taken and scores received (if known).
Transfer Student Advising Information
Non-Degree Seeking Student Advising Information
If you were accepted to the University of Georgia as a non-degree seeking student you do not have to attend orientation. Please contact the Franklin College Office of Academic Student Services to be cleared for registration, 706-542-1412.
- UGA Bulletin — Understand degree requirements. Be sure to do the BulletinWorksheet!
- Degreeworks — See the credit you have already received applied to your degree program.
- Athena — Register for your classes online after orientation.
- Student Advising and Registration Assistant (SARA) — See your advising form and make your fall advising appointment.
- Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) — Know your rights, according to federal law.
- First Year Odyssey
- Franklin Residential College
- On-line Alcohol Awareness Requirement
- Health and Immunization Records
- Testing Services (Placement Tests)
- Verifying Lawful Presence
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why can I not be advised before orientation?
Thousands of students are admitted to the University of Georgia each year. Orientation is designed to best meet the needs of all our students. While we understand that students are very excited about attending the University of Georgia, we cannot advise you until orientation. All questions regarding your major, degree requirements, placement test results, and credit from testing will be thoroughly answered at orientation.
- Who will my advisor be at Orientation?
You will be assigned to an advisor based on your declared major and fall housing assignment. Your advisor is a specialist in your area of study. To meet with the correct advisor, make sure your major is correct. You can view the accuracy of your major in Athena by viewing your "Student information" and make any necessary adjustments prior to attending orientation.
- When will I find out what time my advising appointment is?
You will receive a letter when you arrive at orientation which includes your declared major, current advisor, and advising appointment time. If you need to make changes to your schedule, please do the following:
- First Year students: Visit "The HUB" located in the central lobby on the second floor of the Miller Learning Center between 9:00 a.m.-12 p.m. on Day 2 of orientation. No schedule changes will be made BEFORE the second day.
- Transfer Students: Visit "The HUB" located in the central lobby on the second floor of the Miller Learning Center between 9:00 a.m.-12 p.m. on the day of orientation.
- How do I register for an orientation session?
Students can register for an orientation session here. Orientation is mandatory. Each orientation session has a limited number of spaces.
- How do I change my major at orientation?
Those students attending a two day orientation session have the option to change their major online. If you were not able to do so, you can change your major on Day 1 of orientation at the Majors Fair. The deadline to do this is 4 p.m. on Day 1 of orientation. Those students who are attending a one day orientation session should visit "The HUB" (2nd Floor Rotunda in the Miller Learning Center) by 12pm the morning of their scheduled orientation session to change their major.
- I will be flying in to attend orientation. What time is recommended for me to schedule my return flight home?
Orientation can last until 5 p.m. on Day 2 for incoming freshmen and Day 1 for incoming transfer students. No student should plan to leave Athens prior to 5 p.m. Travel time from Athens to Hartsfield International Airport is approximately two hours and most flights recommend checking in two hours ahead of departure. Scheduling a return flight too early can cause conflict with your orientation advising appointment. If you leave orientation without having been advised, you will not be cleared to register for classes in Athena. This will delay your ability to build your class schedule.
Do you have a unique situation that needs to be addressed before orientation? Please contact Richelle Gamble, the Franklin College Orientation Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Important Message for Orientation Attendees
The advising experience is a critical part of the instructional mission of the University of Georgia. We are committed to providing a climate that is most conducive to student learning and allows the advisor to focus exclusively on the student during the advising appointment. Therefore the Office of Student Academic Services does not allow parents or other guests to accompany students to their academic appointments during Orientation.