Graduation Certification Office

Graduation Certification Office

The Graduation Certification Office informs and advises students regarding progress towards graduation. Graduation advisors work with students and relevant departments to maintain the accuracy of academic records and certify students for graduation in the appropriate term.

This office offers graduation checks to all 5000+ Juniors and Seniors within the Franklin College. Whether or not a student requests a graduation check, graduation advisors evaluate the records of every student the semester prior to their expected graduation as well as the semester they intend to graduate.

Graduation advisors communicate with students in two primary ways - electronic 'grad checks,' and face-to-face appointments. We offer both of these services throughout the year.

Graduation Certification Information

What is graduation certification?

Graduation certification is the process by which undergraduate students in the Franklin College are reviewed and cleared to graduate. This is done by a graduation advisor without any action on the part of the students, at the conclusion of the semester the student is tentatively scheduled to graduate.

What is a grad check?

A "grad check" is an optional appointment with an advisor to discuss any academic questions a student may have. A comprehensive checklist of remaining graduation requirements will be given to the student. Optionally, a student may request an "e-grad check", and a comprehensive checklist of remaining requirements will be sent to the student electronically.

Students are not cleared for registration by their graduation advisor.

To schedule an appointment for a grad check, visit

To request an e-grad check, call the Graduation Certification Office at 706 542-1522, or come to our office in 130 Memorial Hall.

Is a grad check required?

No, it is not required. But you are encouraged to get a graduation check within one to two semester of your intended graduation date.

Who is the graduation advisor for my major?

Majors and associated Graduation Advisor

Majors Graduation Advisor
African-American Studies Schala Bolton
Anthropology Schala Bolton
Arabic Schala Bolton
Art Rita Free
Art History Aaron Stone
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Melissa Wallace
Biology Katherine Hudgins Field
Cellular Biology Melissa Wallace
Chemistry Aaron Stone
Chinese Language and Literature Schala Bolton
Classical Culture Aaron Stone
Cognitive Science Aaron Stone
Communication Studies Rita Free
Comparative Literature Schala Bolton
Computer Science Rita Free
Criminal Justice Studies Schala Bolton
Dance Harriett Gunter
Economics Schala Bolton
English Melissa Wallace
Film Studies Rita Free
French Greg Kline
Genetics Melissa Wallace
Geography Melissa Wallace
Geology Schala Bolton
German Katherine Hudgins Field
Germanic and Slavic Languages Katherine Hudgins Field
Greek Aaron Stone
History Aaron Stone
Interdisciplinary Studies Rita Free
Italian Greg Kline
Japanese Language and Literature Schala Bolton
Latin Aaron Stone
Latin American and Caribbean Studies Greg Kline
Linguistics Aaron Stone
Mathematics Schala Bolton
Microbiology Melissa Wallace
Music Rita Free
Philosophy Aaron Stone
Physics Aaron Stone
Physics and Astronomy Aaron Stone
Plant Biology Melissa Wallace
Psychology Harriett Gunter
Religion Schala Bolton
Romance Languages Greg Kline
Russian Katherine Hudgins Field
Sociology Schala Bolton
Spanish Greg Kline
Statistics Greg Kline
Studio Art Aaron Stone
Theatre Rita Free
Women's Studies Schala Bolton

How should I prepare for my grad check?

Check with your departmental advisor as to whether it is mandatory for you to turn in a “major checklist” to our office. This is not a current print-out of your degree audit, but rather a unique list, letter, or check sheet written by your advisor which lists major requirements and the courses being used to satisfy them.

Each department handles this differently. Your departmental advisor should know the departmental procedure.

Graduation Date

How can I find out what my graduation date is?

It should be listed on your DegreeWorks audit.

Does my graduation date need to be accurate?

Yes. It is important for the graduation certification process, as well as Financial Aid, that your tentative graduation date is accurate.

How do I update my graduation date?

Email with the updated information.


Graduating with a dual-degree

If you are completing dual-degrees (ex. AB & BS or AB & BSED, etc.), you should contact each of your departmental advisors and graduation advisors to verify requirements for each degree.


Minors are certified by the department offering the minor. A Minor Completion Form must be delivered to the Graduation Certification Office prior to your graduation.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974)

FERPA is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of students' education records. FERPA authorizes the release of “Directory Information” without a student’s prior written consent under certain conditions set forth in the Act. "Directory information" is information contained in an education record of a student which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed.

Directory information includes:

  • Student’s name
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Email
  • Major/Fields of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received

Students who wish torestrict access to their directory information may do so, but this restriction may prevent a student's name from being included in the Commencement program. Students may add or remove the FERPA restriction from the "Change Address Information" page on OASIS

Student Records Main Menu arrow Change Address Information arrow restrict all directory information



Where do I find information about commencement?

A commencement ceremony is held at the end of each semester. Commencement details are handled by the Registrar’s Office You can view information on the both current and future commencements.

Will my name appear in the commencement program?

Your name is scheduled to appear in the commencement program for the term you are expected to graduate. See How do I update my graduation date? for more information on this.

Will I be graduating with honors?

Graduating seniors will be recommended for graduation with honors on the basis of their overall grade point average for all college-level work attempted.

Honors designations are:
    Summa cum laude 3.90
    Magna cum laude 3.70
    Cum laude 3.50


Diplomas are normally mailed within 6 to 8 weeks after the official graduation date. For more information regarding your diploma, go to Diplomas are NOT given out at the commencement ceremony.


You should contact your graduation advisor or you may email askgco {at} uga dt edu

Featured Student Service

Featured Service

Graduation Check

grad·check \grad ‘chek\ noun 1: an optional appointment with an advisor to discuss any graduation questions a student may have.  2: a comprehensive checklist of remaining graduation requirements (given to students either electronically or in person).

To schedule an appointment for a grad check, visit

To request an electronic version of a grad check, call the Graduation Certification Office at 706 542-1522, or come to our office in 130 Memorial Hall.

Policies and Procedures

Other Student Links