Sandy Beaver Excellence in Teaching Awards
It is a pleasure for me to announce the availability of four $2,500 awards for excellence in teaching, the Sandy Beaver Excellence in Teaching Awards. (Award amounts may change). These awards for excellence in teaching annually honor outstanding faculty in the Franklin College who have shown a sustained commitment to high-quality instruction. Full-time faculty of all ranks, but particularly those engaged in undergraduate teaching, are eligible for this $2,500 prize with the exception of those who have won the award in the past five years. An electronic copy of the dossier (pdf preferred) should be submitted to email@example.com on or before October 17, 2018.
The dossier, not to exceed fifteen pages (including appendices), shall include a curriculum vita of one or two pages and such information as the following:
- Letters from students, alumni, and/or peers about the applicant's teaching (the inclusion of unsigned letters, including e-mails is not recommended);
- A compilation of numerical data taken from the student evaluations of courses taught during the past three years;
- One or two pages of the ten "best" comments culled from the applicant's student evaluations;
- Evidence of creativity in the development of new courses and in the preparation of projects (such as Honors theses), and of external recognition for teaching accomplishments;
- Evidence of former students' accomplishments;
- Listing of published teaching materials or of articles about teaching.
Please note: Pages of the dossier should be numbered consecutively and conspicuously. The page limit guidelines shall be strictly enforced.
Submit application material by e-mail to the Dean’s Office by November 6, 2019.
Suggestions for the preparation of the dossier include the following:
1. Do not use copy machines for reduction of the size of prints, tables or figures in the submitted materials in order to crowd more information onto a page. Reading small print is annoying, and such a practice may be counter-productive.
2. Do not simply duplicate and submit material from promotion dossiers. Make a fresh start. Provide a well-planned presentation dealing specifically with effectiveness as an instructor.
Please send questions to Sherry Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org.