About this Degree
As technology continues to advance rapidly, job offers in computing professions remain very high. From the classroom to the lab, your studies and research will prepare you for a career in software development, computer system support, the entertainment industry, government agencies or the IT department that exists in every medium to large company. We offer a Bachelor of Science in computer science. The Bachelor of Science is a technically oriented degree for students interested in software development for basic computer science, scientific and engineering applications.
What you will learn
Computer science deals with the logical and mathematical foundations of computing and how to implement problem solutions as programs in a computer language. The computer science curriculum covers the design principles of key computing technologies such as hardware, operating systems, database systems, networks, graphics, and artificial intelligence. Mathematical reasoning is emphasized throughout the program.
Other Academic Information
- Certificate in Computational Biology - http://www.cs.uga.edu/certificate-computational-biology
- Certificate in Computing - http://www.cs.uga.edu/certificate-computing
- Minor in Computer Science - http://www.cs.uga.edu/students/minor-computer-science
- Master of Science - http://www.cs.uga.edu/master-science-computer-science
- Master of Applied Mathematical Sciences - http://www.cs.uga.edu/master-applied-mathematical-sciences
Possible Job Titles
- Application Developer/ Programmer
- Computer Scientist
- Database Administrator
- Support Engineer
- eCommerce Developer
- Implementation Consultant
- Java/ J2EE Developer
- Market Research Analyst
- Network Engineer
- PeopleSoft Administrator
- Project Manager
- Security Engineer
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Special Effects (FX) Specialist
- SQL Database Administrator
- Web Developer/Designer
- Wireless Developer
Other Relevant Information
This is the general research areas description.
The B.S. in computer science program is approved by the Computing Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).